Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fear

It seems this word is haunting me lately. For such a small word it certainly carries a very big meaning. I let this word dictate most of my life.

Could I have pursued acting more vigorously? Yes. Did I? No. Why? Fear.

Did I need to stay in a dead-end job for five years? No. Did I? Yes. Why? Fear.

Was it worth investing in a relationship where I came in second to pretty much everything else in his life? No. Did I? Yes. Why? Fear.

At the end of the day it all boils down to that little word. And really what am I afraid of? What’s the worst that can happen, failure? Well, isn’t coasting through life settling on everything from my job to my relationship failure? Why am I so afraid to do what is best for myself? I knew after two years at my last job that it was not what I wanted to do, but I let the fear of starting over keep me there well into my twenties. And what do I have to show for it? An extremely short resume and experience that will only further me within the restaurant industry.

I invested 110 percent in a relationship with someone who never cared to make an effort for me. And actually told me it worked while it was easy, but that I had become nothing but added stress in his life. And did I spend hours, days, weeks crying over this guy? Yes. Because even though I know deep down that he is not the one, the fear that I will never find the right person kept me chained to this guy’s side.

What is this notion we have that it’s better to have something than nothing? Where does that come from? FEAR! Am I alone right now? Yes. Do I feel completely lost? Yes. But was I not alone in my relationship? Was I not lost in my dead-end job? As scary as it is, at some point we have to stare fear down and embrace it for what it is. A motivational tool. Odds are if you fear something it’s because it’s good for you. Now granted, there are certain situations where this is not the case. I fear getting stung by bees because it could kill me. I am not going to run up to a hive after writing this and shake it in hopes that the result will be good for me. But we have to be able to acknowledge that fear is only as powerful as we allow it to be. And in certain situations facing that fear and pushing forward can end up being extremely rewarding and ultimately leading us to things that are even better for us.

I sit here in fear as I type this. It seems everything is happening at once and I have no control over any of it. But after the storm comes the calm, and maybe this fear is here to push me to finally take charge and start pursuing all those things I have put off for so long? Sure, maybe it’s just wishful thinking. But I need to believe that this is all coming up at this time for a reason.

They say the first step to recovery is acknowledging the problem. I have acknowledged the fear. I have called it by it’s name. I am facing it head on so that it knows it can no longer control me. And while I may not walk away from this battle unscathed, it is a battle worth fighting, and that realization alone is half the battle won.

No comments: