Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Say What?!

So I’m working the door at work the other day and this table of 8 comes in for lunch. Our restaurant only has one table that can accommodate a party of that size, so they end up being seated within earshot of the podium. Next thing I know the alpha male starts going on and on about all the reasons why he loves his job. How wonderful it is and how it allows him to provide a comfortable lifestyle for his family. “And that’s what it’s all about. The little ones, ya know?” Of course everyone else at the table nod their heads in agreement. Then the alpha male turns to one of the women and asks when another woman, who I can only assume is a mutual acquaintance, is getting married. “Haven’t they been going out for two years? What is she waiting for?” “I’m not sure,” the woman responds, “I mean, she’s already 25, how much longer does she want to wait?” At this point my mouth hits the floor and I have to turn away so that they won’t see me snap my jaw back into place. As if 25 is the cut off point and anyone that’s not married by then has to relinquish their right to tie the knot. “I was married by 25,” one guy says. “Me too.” “I was married at 24.” “What else is there to do after college?” Seriously? Um, I can think of a few things. The thing that surprised me most was that these weren’t people in their 50s reminiscing about the way things were when they were young. At some point one guy mentioned being 27 (only a year older than me) and another guy 29. What the hell? Now, I’m not saying it’s wrong to get married and start a family young, my cousin is only 28 and expecting her third child; I’m just saying don’t hold everyone to that standard. Of course I was unable to share my thoughts with any of them, but it definitely gave me a good laugh whenever I thought about it afterward. If you’ll excuse me now, I’ve got to get started on finding a husband before I’m too old and wrinkly for anyone to want me. ;)

No comments: